Tuesday 7 September 2010

I CAN, you can, we can!

I CAN is a children's communications charity that helps ensure that no child is left behind because of a difficulty in speaking or understanding. Thousands of children are just about to embark on the first year of schooling and education, however 1 in 10 of these children wont be able to find the words they need in order to join in, interact, learn and go forward. Communication difficulties are life limiting, and nobody wants a child’s potential to be wasted! They need help! I CAN’s mission is to make sure that “everyone in contact with children knows how important communication is, what a communication difficultly looks like and what they can do

to help.” They do this through increasing public awareness, helping give parents, teachers and families advice on what to look out for and what to do. Teaching them skills to help children who are struggling and providing assessments for children, so that their families know what support will meet their needs.

I CAN has launched a fundraising initiative called ‘Adopt a Word’. Throughout my 3 years of studying and learning about design, branding and advertising I have learnt how important, powerful and meaningful words are. By adopting a word, for just £20, all proceeds go to I CAN, and you will be helping these children who struggle to. You will receive a little pack of certificates, book marks and other little treats all flaunting your word! You can even buy mugs, T-shirts, key rings all emblazoned with your word.

Even celebrities like Sir Paul McCartney and HRH The Dutchess of Cornwall are loving flaunting their words; Stephen Fry adopted “Wordy” because: “Wordy is so ... well, wordy, isn't it?”

My word is smiley.....because it makes me smiley! Do it, it’s fun, creative and gives a tiny bit back to our over privileged society!


1 comment:

  1. AMAZING! You star - my word is 'Wobbly' and was given to me as a gift :) it's such a great charity - thanks for blogging!

    ReplyDelete