Wednesday 11 August 2010

Colour the Colourless


I've always thought that selective colour photography can look at bit naff, the typical red rose or red cherry touching lips, lurched out from a seen a 1000 times unoriginal photograph; making it harsh and overly obvious.

When I got my beautiful magnificent fabulous Nikon SLR I loved playing around with the auto selective colour mode and sometimes, accidently, I got some really good selective colour photos. Being selective is a quality that every human being possess, but sometimes its more fun to select not the daringly obvious but
the things you may not see or appreciate. The trick used in this is to select the areas you want to preserve the colors, inverse the selection and use the ‘desaturate tool’ to turn the image into a black and color photo. I especially like the one above of the Teotihuacan Pyramids, as If your trying to select colour it will always work best when the selected part is full or stunning interesting colours.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE photos like this, makes a sometimes boring image so much more interesting! Also can make it more personal to you as you can emphasise the parts of it which had the biggest imapct on you. Especially like the final image.

    ReplyDelete